Parivrtta Utkatasana is a standing twist which strengthens the legs and back whilst creating flexibility in spine and cleanses the inner organs.
It’s benefits include:
- Strengthen the hip flexors, the thighs and glutes.
- Stretches and strengthens the calf muscles.
- Opens the chest and shoulders
- Increases the range of motion of the ankles.
- Detoxifies and energises.
Like all twists it is important to keep the alignment of your hips square in order to protect your sacro-iliac joint. You can keep your hips square by aligning your knees and feet together.
It is also important to keep your chest and shoulders higher than your hips. If you drop the chest down the spine will become rounded which is not a good position for twisting. Try to lift your chest up and keep your spine long, turning your heart and and gaze up to the sky.